The HBCUStartups.com places a high priority on protecting your privacy. This Marketplace Privacy
Information We Collect and Receive
We collect and receive information about users in a few different ways:
Information you give us. You can give us information directly. For example:
- When you fill out a form, you may give us information such as your name, email address, physical address, and other demographic information;
- When you upload files or data, you may provide product information, marketing details and product volumes; or
- When you otherwise contact us or provide us information directly.
Information we collect or receive when you use our Services. We also collect or receive information when you use our Services. We collect some of this information using cookies and other technologies. Depending on how you access and use our Services, we may receive:
- Log information. This is information that is automatically collected and stored when you use our Services or the websites and apps of our business partners and affiliates. It may include, for example:
o Information about your interactions with the websites, apps, and other services you use, the content you view, the search queries you submit, and information in cookies and similar technologies; and o Information about how you access those websites, apps, and other services, your browser or operating system, your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, and the website you visited before visiting our Services.
- Device information. This is information we automatically collect and store about the device you use when you access our Services. Device information includes, for example, the type of device that you are using, and certain device identifiers that may be unique to your device.
Location information. This information can include, for example, information about your location derived from your IP address if you are on a computer, or your mobile device’s more precise geolocation information.
Other information. We may receive additional information about you that is publicly or commercially available.
Users who have active accounts may modify user information, such as name, emails address, physical address, and company name. Other information that we receive may not be modified retroactively, such as previous transactions, products, and communication data.
How We Use the Information We Collect and Receive
We use the information we collect and receive for the following general purposes:
To provide our Services. We use the information we collect and receive to provide you with the Services you use or request.
To help ensure the integrity of our trademarks and the certification scheme. This information includes data such as traceability volumes, supplier and sourcing information, percentage of certified content in products with our marks, product designs, product launch dates and production site data are needed for verification of compliance with HBCUStartups.com policies and guidelines. To provide additional information about HBCUStartups.com’s work. This information includes updates on projects, new website features, invitations to special events, and opportunities to contribute financially.
To personalize the content you receive from us or view on our website.
To enforce our Terms of Service.
To improve our Services. We may use the information to conduct surveys to measure your satisfaction with our Services, which we use to improve our Services.
Information we collect shall be stored only for as long as this information is necessary to serve the uses described herein.
How We Share the Information We Collect and Receive
We may share information with:
- Representatives. The information one HBCUStartups.com representative receives can be shared among other HBCUStartups.com representatives.
- Partners. We may share information with select partners such as the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN), who may use the information for internal purposes.
- Service providers. Companies or individuals that provide services to HBCUStartups.com or act on our behalf may have access to information about you. These companies are limited in their ability to use information they receive in the course of providing service to us for any purposes other than the services for which we have engaged them.
- Third parties. To protect the integrity of our trademarks and the certification scheme, we may share information with limited third parties – such as other certification organizations – to address issues related to overselling certified product or selling noncertified product as certified, especially for the first sales from origin.
- To help you find potential buyers and suppliers for your HBCUStartups.com
Certified™ products, Marketplace includes a public directory where your company name and basic contact information will be listed unless you choose to opt out. If you opt out of the directory, you will not be listed and none of your information will be displayed publicly.
- Other parties in response to legal process or when necessary to protect our Services. We may disclose your information to other parties when we have a good faith belief that:
o It is necessary to respond to lawful governmental requests or legal processes (for example, a court order, search warrant, or subpoena); o The information is relevant to a crime that has been or is being committed; o An emergency exists that poses a threat to your safety or the safety of another person; o It is necessary to protect the rights or property of HBCUStartups.com; or o It is in aggregate form for reporting key indicators (for example, the total volume of Rainforest
Alliance Certified™ coffee sold globally per year) to donors, at conferences, to the media or on our public web site.
In the event that the ownership of HBCUStartups.com, Inc. or an affiliate or their assets changes as a result of a merger, acquisition, sale of assets, or in the unlikely event of a bankruptcy, your information may be transferred to another company.
“Do Not Track” Signals
Some web browsers may transmit “do not track” signals to the websites and other online services with which the browser communicates. HBCUStartups.com currently does not take action in response to these signals.
Our Services are not directed to children under the age of thirteen, and we do not knowingly collect or store personal information about children under the age of thirteen except where permitted by law. If we learn that we have collected information about a child under the age of thirteen, we will take appropriate and reasonable measures to delete such information from our database.
Our Commitment to Security
We employ safeguards intended to mitigate the risk of unauthorized access or disclosure of information collected and received. We are committed to preserving the confidentiality and security of sensitive commercial information in our possession and have implemented data privacy and security procedures according to industry standards. Please note, however, that we cannot guarantee the security of the information that we collect and store.
The HBCUStartups.com secures personal information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure.
The HBCUStartups.com carries out an annual internal audit based on the ISO 27001 standard. The HBCUStartups.com secures the personally identifiable information you provide on computer servers in a controlled, secure environment, protected from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. When personal information (such as a credit card number) is transmitted to other Web sites, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol.
RA has an annual IT/Finance external audit and invite an independent Security third party vendor to overview our infrastructure, applications and data management.
HBCUStartups.com is based in the United States, and, regardless of where you use our Services or otherwise provide information to us, the information may be transferred to and maintained on servers located in the U.S. Please note that any information we obtain about you will be stored in accordance with U.S. privacy laws, regulations, and standards, which may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence. By using our Services or by providing us with your information, you consent to this collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in the U.S.
How to Contact Us
Last Updated: March 1st, 2018